Saturday, April 10, 2010

 

You won't believe it...

But good things do come from Australia. And I'm not talking about my Aussie cousins. Love you guys, and technically you're from South Africa anyway. No, I'm talking about the new prog rock movement from Perth. Three great bands have emerged and there are some lesser try hard ones too, but this post isn't about those poor losers.

And in case you're sceptical following my previous post, this post isn't about some album or song of which I have only listened to the demo. Rather, it is about three bands which can do no wrong.

1. The Butterfly Effect. If given a fair go (ie more than one listen) I can't imagine anyone actually disliking these guys. Their music is melodic and unrepetitive, their lyrics are great and the singing is awesome. Their two recent albums ("Imago" and "Final Conversation of Kings") are especially well constructed, in that one does not feel tempted to skip any songs to "get to the good ones". They're all good. Alas, while they are big in Aussie, you are unlikely to find them on the shelves in NZ, so "borrow them from a friend" today!

2. Karnivool. I have to credit my bro Mix for getting me on to these guys. Just like the above band, these chaps have the ability to make incredibly good music and albums you can listen to all the way through, time and again. The lead singer is especially talented, and also performs in the band "Birds of Tokyo" which is more pop-focused.

3. Dead Letter Circus. I hesitate to say the third best, but really, they are. Mind you, they are still awesome. The only issue is that they have not released any real album to speak of, only two EPs. And these EPs are even harder to obtain than the Butterfly Effect albums. So listen to them on Youtube if torrents prick your conscience. I don't even know if they're on Itunes, but they sure should be.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?