Thursday, April 08, 2010

 

This must be the longest hiatus... But the book review was well worth the wait!

In fact, I think if I wait only one more year my blog will self destruct from lack of usage. It happened to that impostor who used to occupy www.jon.beck.blogspot.com. Possibly the strangest blog I have ever seen and now lost to the world - since about mid-08.

So anyway, it just struck me that it has been too long. You think it woulda struck earlier. So I'm gonna return with something totally unoriginal like a book review. Eat your heart out, Mike Crowl.

And the book of the week is "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. The excited reviews which called other Dan Brown books "Unputdownable" and "...with a unusually high IQ" gave me a pretty good idea of the calibre of the readers. Naturally someone who describes a book in that way is going to feel a tad threatened by the IQ of an inanimate object. I myself was unfazed by Mr Brown's split infinitives and his utter failure at the plu-perfect tense and the definitive descriptive. I ploughed ahead regardless and was pleasantly surprised by the suspense and intrigue which can be woven into a day or so in the life of an academic who now looks in my mind unsettlingly like Tom Hanks. Of course no-one would believe that that much thought was really put in to Washington DC by its founding fathers, or that a symbologist would be a useful human being, but that's what makes great fiction.

Then I finished reading the dust jacket (and a good job too, because that was about all I could handle) and moved on to greener pastures.

Next time I will review a movie I saw the preview of. And at the rate I've been churning out posts - look for it in 2013!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?