Wednesday, December 06, 2006

 

Funny v Chauvanistic

Further to my post on 'the Spanish Computer', I have thought more on NZ society and gender. Are the only ones who can see my point of view girls from Idaho? (Liz and Anemone - I'm not cheapening the value of your input, I'm merely saying that you are perhaps of the few that understand!) There was an ad in the paper a couple of days ago for inexpensive flights to Melbourne. Of course one of the only things to do in Melbourne is shop, so the catch phrase was: "Take your man shopping in Melbourne - Someone has to carry the bags!"

Immediately you should see what set alarm bells ringing in my head. I asked Clair Elder, a fellow lawyer, what she thought, and she considered it funny. When I asked about the fact that if the comment were turned around it would be deemed sexist, she asked for an example. Without hesitation I replied "Take your girl to a dinner at a fancy restaurant and don't pay - someone has to do the dishes!" OK, perhaps a little extreme, but Clair immediately laughed, then replied "that's not funny" with a stony-faced expression.

Perhaps the only reason it's not funny is that there is no backlash to the sexist jokes in favour of women - which is why no-one terms them sexist, even though they kinda are. There should be no jokes either way if we're wanting full equality - why is there all this over-bargaining by females?

Still, I wouldn't try and start the movement; I'll leave that to someone suicidal.

Comments:
I just think that guys are more laid back and don't mind being made fun of so much.

Not very intellectual comment, but I think at times these things get over complicated.

Did someone say shopping!!!
 
I'm all for jokes; I just like to see them go both ways, and not be mean-spirited. There's plenty of opportunity for humor, an appreciation of the absurd, and enjoyment of irony in every-day life.

I dunno if you went to my semi-colon corner blog, but I have to admit I kinda like the quote from myself up at the top.

:-D

Anemone
 
Thanks Susan; I hope that fence you're sitting on is comfy.

Is that mitigation I hear, Scotty? I get enough of that at work!

Anemone: I agree totally. Both ways means equality. I agree with the quote on your blog too - and with the correctness of your punctuation. I would probably quote myself too if I remembered anything smart I ever said.
 
lol

Thanks.

;-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?